Monday, November 17, 2014

Let Freedom Ring

Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays...it's also only 2 days before my birthday. So this year, I decided I was going to create a little decoration for my apartment to celebrate AMERICA!

The final product:





















I went to ACE Hardware and got the wood, had them cut the 2 pieces into 4 even sized wood pieces.
I began by sanding the wood so there was no pointed corner or side. All sides are rounded as well as the corners, this gives it a more "worn" look than the perfect sides and corners when purchased.





















After I rounded all edges, I went a head with the painting. 2 red, 1 white and 1 blue. After I got the colors I wanted I began to "wear" the red, mainly by scratching and lightly sanding in random spots to make it look antique-ish.
 






















I then used a puffy paint of white to write my saying, I chose "let freedom ring" but you could use any patriotic saying or any part of the Star Spangled Banner... "home of the brave," "'Merica"

After getting everything painted I used tiny nail (smaller then the depth of 2 board but long enough to hold 2 boards together) and did 4 (in a square) into each of the 2 red and white boards attaching to the blue saying board all even at the bottom so I can sit straight up and down.

GET CREATIVE! Have fun with it!

1 comment: